news details |
|
|
12 NYC hunger strikers removed to hospital | | | Majid Nabi Early Times Report
Srinagar, Sept 22: Twelve of the protesting National Youth Corps (NYC) volunteers who are on an indefinite hunger strike in Srinagar since September 1 were hospitalized Tuesday in a critical condition. "Where is the PDP leader who staged walkout from the Assembly last year? Was that a drama to seek votes? Our sisters are spending nights under a makeshift tent. What more can we expect from these politicians who have been exploiting youth for their petty political gains," Asif Ali Bhat, president NYC Association, told Early Times. He said more than 100 youth have been hospitalized since September 1 while 12 including seven female volunteers were rushed to hospital on Tuesday morning. "One of our friends from Ramban district is battling with life in the hospital. Doesn't this government feel ashamed, or the conscience of these politicians is dead who could not see anything other than their own benefits," Bhat said. "BJP leaders like J.P. Nadda and Shahnawaz Hussain had assured us that our genuine demands will be fulfilled once the party comes in power in J&K. However, their assurances also proved false. We are here along with our parents, and it has been 22 days now since we started hunger strike, but the government seems to be in deep slumbers," Bhat said. He set a two-day deadline for the government to address their demands and threatened to celebrate upcoming Eid at Pratap Park along with their families in case the authorities failed to frame a concrete policy for them. "We have decided to celebrate Eid at Pratap Park and offer congregational Eid prayers at 10 am. This should be an eye-opener for the government, else there are other methods to mount pressure," said Bhat who hails from Udhampur. "It is irony that the government is not implementing cabinet orders. We have been working in extremely tough conditions but never compromised with our duty. We had pinned hopes on the coalition government to resolve our genuine demand but it also failed to keep its assurances," said Rabia, a NYC protester. After the government did not implement previous cabinet decision, hundreds of NYC volunteers including some women gathered in Pratap Park September 1 to begin their 72-hour hunger strike which is now indefinite. The Centre had framed few special schemes for youth of J&K in 2010 summer unrest "to channelize their energy in nation building" and NYC was formed under Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports. These youths were deployed to different state government departments in 2010, but since then their fate hangs in balance. Under this scheme, they were eligible to serve up to two years but later the government utilized them for other jobs on the same honorarium of Rs 2500 per month. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
STOCK UPDATE |
|
|
|
BSE
Sensex |
 |
NSE
Nifty |
|
|
|
CRICKET UPDATE |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|