People asked not to give ear to rumours on cow slaughters | Rumour mongers to be booked under PSA, 3 injured in petrol bomb attack on truck | | Early Times Report UDHAMPUR, Oct 10: The district administration has called upon the people not to give ear to rumours on the cow slaughters unless these are followed by evidence while resolving to book rumour mongers under public safety act (PSA). Meanwhile, a few people last night threw a petrol bomb on a truck near here, resulting in injuries to three persons, including a cop. Tension gripped Udhampur town early this morning after some people alleged that a cow had been slaughtered in the vicinity of the town. As the word spread, Udhampur deputy commissioner Shahid Iqbal Choudhary rushed an executive magistrate, Municipal Committee CEO, a team of veterinary doctors and a police team led by Dy SP Gaurav Mahajan to the spot to enquire about the incident. On inquiry, the team came to know that the cow had died a natural death. To cool the people's tempers, additional DC Angrez Singh Rana and additional SP Mohan Lal Kaith gave a press conference along with the dead cow's owner Jia Lal Atri, son of Munshi Ram Ramdasi of Sambal, and ruled out any foul play. Atri told that the cow died a few days back and Rs 3,500 were paid to Dulla sweeper to bury the animal but he threw it in the open. Meanwhile, the district administration appealed to the people to maintain calm and restraint and not give ear to rumours spread on social media or otherwise. Action was also being taken against the rumour mongers who had spread the false news of the slaughter of cow, leading to massive protests in the town. The situation was, however, defused after the protesters came to know that the cow had died a natural death. The DC had asked police for formulating dossiers of rumour mongers for booking them under PSA, if necessary, police sources said, adding that at least 12 rumour mongers had so far been identified for legal action. Later, the DC, DIG Surinder Gupta, SSP Suleiman Choudhary, the additional DC, Kaith and ACR Rajiv Magotra reviewed the prevailing situation and a security review was followed by visit to various areas in the town. Meanwhile, a Kashmir-bound truck (JK03D/1142) was attacked by a group of youth at 11.45 pm last night when bottles of combustible material were hurled on it. There were three persons inside the truck. The entire incident has been recorded in CCTV and one of attackers was arrested immediately by a police patrol. On receipt of leads, four more persons involved in the incident were arrested. They included Harish, son of Chunni Lal Katoch, Bal Bahadur, son of Girdhari Lal, Sandoor Singh, son of Thakur and Suneet Singh, son of Pardeep Singh, all residents of Udhampur. A manhunt had been launched for the 5 absconders, sources said. The injured included driver Showkat Ahmed, son of Ghulam Mohammad, and conductor Zahid Ahmed, son of Ghulam Rasool, both residents of Anantnag. Rameez Ahmed Bhat, who was also in the truck, escaped unhurt and saved the truck. The injured were hospitalised. The accused have been booked under sections 307, 336, 436, 147, 148, 120-B and 427 of RPC and 3/5 of Explosives Substances Act. Further investigation in the incident is on. The security had been further enhanced along the highway and in Udhampur town, sources said. Meanwhile, a protest was today held by people at Battengoo in Anantnag against the petrol bomb attack on the truck. The protesters, mainly relatives and family members of the victims, sought immediate action against the attackers. They were later pacified by senior police officers. According to an official handout, deputy commissioner, Anantnag, Muneer Ul Islam later visited the residents of the victims and gave Rs 70,000 to each of the injured. Air tickets from Srinagar to Delhi for three family members of the victims were also arranged by the district administration, Anantnag, for advanced treatment in the union capital. |
|